hello

My name is Kelsi. I am a wife to Davis, the boy next door growing up and professional pilot. I am mama to Peyton, a brown-eyed spunky little girl who keeps us on our toes! This is our story.

us

us

Peyton Paige

Peyton Paige
08.08.2013

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Pilot's Wife


I can't even count the times I have been asked "How do you do it?" And we aren't even 6 months in.  To be honest a small part of me gets irritated when people ask "Where is Dave?" or "He is gone again?"  Yes people.  He is a pilot.  His work is traveling all over the country. 

I had been told this new life would be miserable. I expected this new life to be miserable.  There were several, and I mean several, conversations early on in our marriage about whether or not we should go through with this.  Whether or not we were strong enough to take on this lifestyle.  But we agreed that we could make this work.  Dave is so passionate about his job.  Anyone who has ever talked to him knows that.  It is in his blood.  To do this, it has to be.

 September was our first full month. He was based in MSP and it was, in fact, miserable. We saw him a day or two a week if we were lucky.  On top of that we were paying to have him live in Minneapolis.  Peyton woke up most mornings asking where dad was.  I looked at our life and thought there is no way we can make this work.  Our kids are going to grow up without their dad being there for them physically.  I saw myself raising our kids on my own. I had too many meltdowns to count and I begged him to look into the training department which has a more "normal" schedule. I wanted to call it quits after just one month. 

October was better. Then we found out he would be based in SLC starting November. Our prayers had been answered.  Before we started at SkyWest we heard that it took people several months to several years to be based in Salt Lake, due to the fact of it being a very senior base.  It seemed as though we could not have gotten into the airlines at a better time.  

He left on Saturday night for a 3 day. Before Saturday he was off for 3 weeks and he will be off for the next week. I want to cry tears of joy because I know now this will work for us. I'm falling in love with it. He is home so much more then a "normal" schedule would allow and we are able to spend so much time as a family. I'm not naive in thinking that it will always be ideal or that I will love his schedule every month, but it's working for us. He followed his dream and is making such a good life for our family.

In my short 5 months as a pilots wife, I have already found things the I love about this lifestyle.  Of course there are negatives, and there is with any career I believe.  But here are some things I have grown to love:

Community/Support System/Friends
I have met the most amazing people through this that I wouldn't have if Dave wasn't a pilot.  When we moved down to Arizona, we left behind everything and everyone we had ever known.  It was scary for a girl who had never lived more then 30 minutes from her family!  If it weren't for Dave's job and for those we met through his job it would have been so much harder.  Some of our best friends to this day are those pilot families that we met while we were in Phoenix.  Whenever things get hard, or overwhelming, there is nothing like being able to turn to a community of people who know exactly what you are going through.  I am part of a Facebook group for Skywest Spouses.  I debated on whether or not I should even join in the beginning.  I didn't want to hear about how miserable these wives lives were because their husbands were pilots.  But it is nothing like that.  I have never met any of these women, but I feel like they have my back.  If ever I have a question, need advice or just a listening ear, they are there.  They are so positive about their husbands career and the lifestyle they are living.  They have been such a strength to me during this new adjustment.  You can't talk to people about it who haven't experienced it.  It is a whole different world and I would be lost without my pilot sisters!

Dad Duty
One of the hardest parts of having dad gone is mom being on duty 24/7.  Let me tell you, it is exhausting!  One of my favorite parts of Dave coming home is that he takes over with Peyton!  Since I taken care of everything while he is gone, I REALLY appreciate when he is home to help out with meal time, bath time, bed time . . .all the times of the day!  

Flight Benefits
We love to travel!  And with free flights it makes it that much easier!  In our short 6 months we have gone to California (twice), Washington and Texas. . . for FREE!  Of course standby can be stressful, but when it works out it is amazing.  We will be able to have so many opportunities to see so many different places that we wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Me Time
Of course I miss him when he is gone, but there is something special about having some me time.  After Peyton is in bed I am able to just have some alone time.  Time to catch up on "my" stuff.  TV shows, movies, books, crafts. . .

Sense of Pride
The sense of pride that swells up in your chest is like falling in love all over again.  That's right.  That's my man.  Flying an airplane!  He has worked so hard to get to where he is today and I am proud to call him mine. I love being able to tell people where he works and what he does.  It is so different and exciting.  It is one of those careers that little kids want to do when they grow up.  He absolutely loves his job and gets so excited to go to work.  How many people can say that?


So if any of you have ever wondered, there ya have it.  We are surviving this new lifestyle and falling in love with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment