hello

My name is Kelsi. I am a wife to Davis, the boy next door growing up and professional pilot. I am mama to Peyton, a brown-eyed spunky little girl who keeps us on our toes! This is our story.

us

us

Peyton Paige

Peyton Paige
08.08.2013

Friday, September 14, 2012

Forget Me Not

Last night I went with my mom to her wards RS activity and I am so glad that I did.  They had a lesson on President Uchtdorfs talk called Forget Me Not.  I have loved this talk since it was given.  My mom gave me the Forget Me Not Willow Tree figure around when he first gave the talk and I have loved the little reminder.  In the talk President Uchtdorf talked about 5 things that we must never forget representing the 5 petals of a Forget Me Not flower.
 I was so glad that I was able to go with my mom and be reminded and taught about these 5 things.  I really needed it and it was the recharge that I have been looking for.  Davis and I were just talking the other night how we need to better ourselves.  I feel like it is so easy in this stage of life to fall into sort of a slump.  You have no one watching you.  But we decided this is when we need to be at our best.  This is the time that we should perfect it.  One day we will have little munchkins running around and we want to be the best example to them.  Yes of course we still have a testimony of the gospel.  We still attend church weekly and pay a full tithe and offering.  We try to attend the temple on a monthly basis.  Those things are easy.  Those are the things that you have been doing your whole life.  But we realized we don't want to do those things because 'it's what you do'.  We don't want to do them out of habit.  We want to want to do them.  We want to do them with thought behind it.  What we have found hard is companion scripture study and prayer.  Visiting and Home teaching.  Magnifying our calling.  So we set some goals for ourselves.  And you know what?  We are doing them!  We haven't missed a night.  What better way is there to strengthen your relationship with one another?  What better way is there to increase your faith?  What better way is there to get through life?  I sometimes feel as a member of the church that there are so many expectations and that there are so many things to make a priority.  I was reminded last night that yes, there are some things that we must make a priority.  The church, Heavenly Father, your spouse, your family.  But then there are things that don't have to be done today.  Believe it or not the dishes can wait.  The laundry can even wait for a little while.  We need to focus on what is a priority and what is not a priority.  Another thing that they talked about last night is that we are not perfect and that there is no need to compare ourselves to others.  They said that a lot of the time we are comparing our worst self to someones best self which is not fair.  We need to be happy with who we are as long as we are trying.  I have struggled putting this into words, but I felt so rejuvenated after last night.  As long as we are trying and moving forward then He will do the rest.  It is as simple and difficult as that.  They shared a quote last night that if you are too busy to read your scriptures then you are busier than God ever intended you to be. 
 I find this so true.  Davis and I were talking about how we can find hours to do this and hours to do that, but we can't find 30 minutes everyday to read our scriptures?  As members of the church we are not perfect and no one is expecting us to be.  We need to be patient with ourselves.  We need to realize that some things will have to wait and we will not achieve perfection in this life.  We need to enjoy this life that we have been given and stop wishing our days away.  This is something that I need to work on.  I am always looking forward to the future and wishing away our days.  I find myself often saying how I cannot wait until we are out of school, I cannot wait until Dave starts his career, I cannot wait until we have a house.  But we need to enjoy TODAY!  These will be some of our most fun times together and I need to enjoy it.  Life moves too fast already without me wishing for days ahead.  


    At the end they shared the words to one of my favorite songs from Young Women's.  It says:

"Right now I have a prayer deep within my heart,
A prayer for each of you there is a special part.
That you remember who you are and Him who lives above.
Please seek for Him and live His way; you'll feel His love.

Walk tall, you're a daughter, a child of God.
Be strong - please remember who you are.
Try to understand.  You're part of His great plan.  
He's closer than you know - reach up, He'll take your hand.

Long before the time you can remember,
Our Father held you in His arms so tender.
Those loving arms released you as He sent you down to earth.  
He said, "My child, I love you.  Don't forget your great worth.

This life on earth we knew would not be easy.
At times we lose our way - His plan we may not see.
But please remember always - please - that you are not alone.
He'll take your hand He loves you He will guide you home!"

I need to remember who I am.  A daughter of God.  I need to be more patient with myself, remember that God loves me and knows who I am, remember the WHY of the gospel and to be happy now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment